Wednesday 27 February 2013

Shavasana - Just One More Breath









Article #1 - Shavasana 

What a fancy name for ‘sleeping’!” - That was my very first thought when I was introduced to the Shavasana pose at the end of my maiden yoga attempt a year ago. The instructor shut all the lights and played the sound of waves on the CD player. I dozed off. [Note: Shavasana is not meant for sleeping] I will never forget that 10 precious minutes. It felt like a visit to heaven because during that time, I had severe sleeping problems.

Being ignorant about Yoga then, I thought it was the sound of waves that did the trick! I immediately asked the instructor to burn me a copy! Well, I learnt better soon enough. I now know that after doing yoga, the mind is more inclined to go into a more relaxed and meditative state. Upon google-ing, I found that Shavasana helps decrese blood pressure, muscle tension and fatigue. No wonder I fell asleep.

"The biggest bonus of all is that it helps reduce general anxiety, an issue that has been troubling me for ages."
I was most excited to know that this yoga pose improves concentration and self-confidence. The biggest bonus of all is that it helps reduce general anxiety, an issue that has been troubling me for ages. Shavasana is not just a time to relax the body, but a quiet time for the mind to remain alert, yet relaxed. 
"When it was time for Shavasana, I basically ‘collapsed’ on the floor. Suddenly, I felt a tear dropped at the side of my ear, but I wasn’t sobbing."
I will never forget my first enlightening Shavasana experience. It was during my first ‘serious’ yoga session. I was terribly unfit back then and had to try real hard to keep up with the other more experienced practitioners. When it was time for Shavasana, I basically ‘collapsed’ on the floor. Suddenly, I felt a tear dropped at the side of my ear, but I wasn’t sobbing. 
"I could see what was causing my unhappiness and what I needed to do to move on and be kinder to myself."
I realised that I was releasing negative energy; pent-up sorrow which I didn’t even knew I had. I had a mental image of a lost little girl at the bus stop. I saw the situation that I was in back then clearly. I could see what was causing my unhappiness and what I needed to do to move on and be kinder to myself. 


When it was time to get up, I was relieved that it was just two very isolated tears that had fallen and my eyes were hardly affected. My sweat definitely had stolen the thunder. 

Now I know that Shavasana is an ideal time to develop my ability to feel my energy (prana). The posture rejuvenated my body, mind and spirit; hence I had the moment of clarity. 

Every now and then, I do get mental images when I’m at Shavasana pose. I treasure them deeply because they give me clarity and peace; two very rare state that I’m usually in. 


So, don’t ever miss a Shavasana pose! 

No comments:

Post a Comment