Wednesday 3 April 2013

Me and My Yoga Tools



Article #2 - Me and my yoga tools

I started out with just a humble yoga mat (which after sometime I realized just didn't do the trick) and a ragged old t-shirt and what you can call roughly yoga pants. I found yoga rather intimidating and scary at first. I sort of felt out of place with my little yoga get up while many others were dressed rather elegantly and twisting and bending backwards on their Manduka or nike mats. 

Despite feeling out of place, I felt incredibly at awe at these women. They were confident! Not everyone were shaped as the stereotypical yogi. They all came in all sizes. Some super petite, some with not an inch of fat in sight and some tall and lanky. Some were even rather shapely! 

Back to my little story, I realized that I couldn't make much advancement in yoga without the right equipment or should I say tools. We don't need expensive ones of course that can burn holes in our pockets. Everything in moderation. Of course good quality ones tend to last longer but yes, a little pricey.

So what was my next course of action? I got a new yoga mat after a few months of practicing yoga at Surya Yoga. I knew that Jo sold mats and a number of other yoga equipment, but I guess in some odd way, I felt like I didn't deserve them. This of course stems from my own insecurity and insane habit of wanting to be humble. In a crazy way, I felt like if I had less good or nice things, I would be looked upon as humble and not a show off. As mentioned before, rather insane notions.



Surya Yoga Mat
RM 85 each


So, I asked Jo how much a yoga mat costs. It was RM85 and it came with a free yoga mat bag! The joy! I have scouted around a few sports equipment stores and many of the mats on display costs definitely more than RM120. I even checked online for yoga mats and I stumbled upon Manduka mats which can go as high as RM400. So, yes, my very first REAL yoga mat came from Surya Yoga. It's a turquoise-y color and it has just enough friction. Perhaps I'd invest in a Manduka mat in future, but not for now. A good mat, bottomline, will keep you comfortable and safe.


RM 300
(possibly a mat I'd invest in in future)


After purchasing my mat, I invested in a pair of 3/4 yoga pants from Adidas. I think it costs less than RM120, but oh my, such great pants! Incredibly stretchable and breathable! My weight and size tends to fluctuate, so these pants made life much easier. At the moment, I still cling on to my oversized old t-shirts for yoga. I plan in future to invest in a Marika top. I know it might sound superficial, but sometimes when you look good, you actually DO feel good. I might not look particularly nice in a Marika top, but yes, it's a start.


Stretchable and breathable Adidas pants 
My first pair looked something like this





RM 155
(love this!)


Next up, yoga blocks. Surya yoga sells great yoga blocks at a good price as well. RM20 for one block. I start with one at first of course. Now I have a pair. I use it to get a deeper bend and also placing it at my back and simply laying down on it. It sounds really simple, but yes, if you are not flexible, it would be rather painful and feel awkward, which was exactly what I felt at first. But after sometime, I realised that I began to feel pretty good laying on the blocks. Could really feel my back stretch out! Helps greatly with my posture too.



Surya Yoga Yoga Blocks
RM 20 each

I recently bought a yoga mat towel from Surya yoga for only RM85. I really sweat buckets when I'm doing yoga. I usually look like I've just come out from the shower! Not only does this yoga mat towel suck up all my sweat, but it's also great for support in certain poses.



Surya Yoga Yoga Mat Towel
RM 85 


So far, the only item I do not have which is rather an essential yoga tool is a yoga belt. I'm still using the ones at the studio. It helps me get into positions while I am still developing my flexibility.

I hope this article helps somewhat in your path to yoga enlightenment. At the end of the day, I guess it boils down to how dedicated you are to learning yoga. Most people just make do with what they have and end up being really great yoga practitioners but yes of course, getting the right equipment helps a ton! Don't forget to do your research and read up on reviews!



Surya Yoga's little yoga apparel and equipment corner


Namaste
Elirus

No comments:

Post a Comment