Friday 26 April 2013

The More The Merrier

There’s a huge difference doing yoga in a group compared to doing yoga on my own. While it’s a great idea to consistently practice at home, it’s when I’m in a yoga class that I would test my limits. The healthy competitive spirit in me can help hold my pose just that little longer, or push my stretches just that little farther.

I couldn’t possibly give up when the rest of the class is still holding the pose, now can I? This is where the case of ‘kiasu –ism’ or the Asian ‘face-saving’ syndrome can be put into this rare good use. Moreover, doing yoga in a group keeps me motivated and I always enjoy the group camaraderie.

"Foo's classes especially his Flow classes on Wednesdays 6pm, always exude enthusiasm and the 'can do' spirit, where I'd believe that even if I'm not there, I'll get there soon enough."  
                                                                                                       - Yin Hun 
Jo, Elise, Jenny, Foo and Surya Yoga students

I had the privilege of attending Foo’s classes and I really enjoy how he encourages partner support in the more advance poses. It’s very comforting to know that someone literally has my back when I am attempting a new and challenging pose. I have something to gain too when it’s my turn to ‘hold’ someone in her attempt. Research has proven that when we care for others, our bodies release the ‘caring’ hormone - which reduces our stress and anxiety level. As I certainly don’t want my yoga partner to hurt herself under my watch, I definitely ‘cared’ a lot.


Foo is a much loved Surya Yoga instructor
He teaches 6pm Wednesday's Flow class and 
9.30am Saturday's Beginner class

Hence, I truly feel this yoga-partnering technique is very conducive especially for beginners like me. Partners can encourage and comfort each other no matter how we performed; “Wow, well done!” or “It’s ok, it’s really hard, I couldn’t do it either.”

Also, friendships bond quicker after a yoga partnership. I’d definitely want to know the lady who had kept my feet up and made me look good, wouldn’t I? Co-operative teamwork like this will definitely build kinships among members. After all, yoga is about strengthening our connection with ourselves and with others. As the Zen tradition says, “There are no enlightened beings, only enlightened activities.”


Namaste
Yin Hun



Foo and Junko
Surya Yoga's dynamic acroyoga duo
are having a 1/2 day 'Yoga for Slimming' event 
this 1st May 2013 (Wednesday) 8am - 1pm

Just invest RM130 and join these two

inspiring yogis for a special 90 minute slimming yoga class,
an organic farm visit and a mouth watering organic lunch buffet!

Interested?

Book yourself a spot!
Call Foo 
012 2205512




No comments:

Post a Comment