Friday 21 June 2013

Rays of Sunshine: Q&A with Diandra Erin

Just a quick introduction. 

I had the lovely opportunity to sit down with Diandra Erin Soliano, a blossoming Surya Yoga yogi. She was a beginner student at Surya Yoga a few months back, but she quickly made her way to intermediate class. We see her at Surya Yoga sometimes even 3 times a week! She's a quirky, fashionable vegetarian and a vibrant new addition to our Surya Yoga family! This engaging Filipino mix and striking individual is bursting with life and always generous with her Julia Roberts smile. You can't help but be swept away by her charisma. Being drawn to her infectious personal style, I spoke to her about writing a blog post on her yoga journey with Surya Yoga. Gladly she agreed (I knew she would!) and we got together and made it happen.

This was how our Q&A session went.


What made you interested in yoga? Did you want to work on anything in particular? To build up strength or gain better stamina perhaps? Tell us all about it.


I was never the epitome of good health. You always hear about how you’re in your prime in your 20s, but nothing about me mentally or physically could relate to that. I tried the gym thing, but it wasn’t for me. I didn’t have the motivation let alone time it. One good thing did come of it however, and that was a brief introduction to yoga. I took a few in-house classes and really started to get into it. So even after I admitted defeat to my gym membership, I wanted to keep going for yoga classes.



How did you find out about Surya Yoga? What made you pick Surya Yoga? Anything in particular?

Realistically I knew that if I were going to commit to yoga, that I needed to find a studio in close proximity to my workplace, and one that wasn’t going to burn a whole in my pocket. I did a little research online, and found plenty of helpful information from Surya Yoga’s blog, Facebook page and recommendations from others too. So I dropped by after work to have a look, was very impressed, and came for my first class the very next day. 




How long have you been practicing yoga? Did you practice on your own previously?

After my short gym stint, I grew lazy as expected. So admittedly, I only regained my motivation to practice yoga after a year or so. I started by watching other yogi guru’s online, bought a yoga mat, and practiced by myself. After a month, I wanted to go beyond downward dog poses and other basic poses, and I felt like classes would help me advance. If you’re going to have to pay for online yoga classes, why not join the real thing?



What is your favorite class at Surya Yoga? Why do you like it?

It’s safe to say I’m kind of a spiritual person, and so naturally, I’m drawn to the spiritual aspects of yoga. Having said, I love the Flow and Gentle Flow classes. It really allows you to move with your breath and at the same time, it’s pretty hard core. You’ll wake up aching all over, in a really good way that motivates you to keep practicing yoga.



We noticed that you love eating at our Juice and Salad Bar. You often take away salads and juices right after class. Have any favorites?

That’s one of the reasons I was so sure that Surya Yoga was the right studio for me! I’m vegan so eating out is always a little difficult for me. The menu serves up tons of healthy choices, many of which are vegetarian / vegan friendly. I love the Rice Salad and (the ginger juice, lol can’t remember the name). I sometimes customize my order, so instead of meat in a particular sandwich or salad, I ask for vegetable instead. 



You jumped from beginner yoga classes at Surya Yoga to now, Intermediate classes pretty quick. Very impressive! How did you do it? What motivates you?

I’m still in that beginner level, but every week or so I take an intermediate class. To me the key is actually not setting goals or deadlines. There are good weeks when I take four classes a week and then there are bad weeks when I’m too busy with work and take one class, if I’m lucky. Don’t let your mind tell you that you need to be able to do a headstand for example, by a certain date, let your body and breath take you there when you’re ready. I did that mistake and ended up with a swollen neck for a week! 





Any advice for yoga newbies?

Don’t think of yoga as a pose or just another form of exercise. When you embrace everything yoga has to offer as a lifestyle, you reap all its benefits. Try meditating before you sleep, eat clean, and really take to the practice. I think yoga is about being kind to yourself in every way possible, and when you accept that more and more every day, you go beyond seeing your body change, you see your mindset change with it.

Jo and Diandra

No comments:

Post a Comment