Thursday 18 April 2013

Prenatal Teacher Training at Byron Bay








Article #1 - Prenatal Teacher Training at Byron Bay

This was a last minute trip. I packed my luggage bag in a hurry and sped directly off to LCCT to catch my overnight Air Asia flight to Gold Coast, Australia. 

A very good friend of mine, and also an instructor at Surya Yoga named Susan planned this trip with me and we were both incredibly excited about attending this prenatal yoga teacher's training program in Byron Bay arranged by Purna Yoga. We have been waiting for this particular teacher training program for quite sometime now, so when the opportunity came, we took it! We had no doubts about it! I've been teaching prenatal yoga at Surya Yoga for many years. This was definitely an ideal opportunity to keep my skills up to date and to get in touch with the yoga community in Australia. 



Click and have a look at the course structure

I took my seat on the plane, and as the plane starting to take off, I closed my eyes and just emptied my mind. I love airplane rides. There is something about being on a journey that calms me. 

We reached Coolangatta at 7am Australian time. To both me and Susan's surprise, my uncle and aunty came to see us! My uncle and aunty have been living in Australia for a number of years. I had much intention to visit them during this trip, but they beat me to it! Bright and early, they came and waited for us at the arrivals. My strong and sturdy 84 year old uncle's smile and warm hugs immediately made my heart melt. Aunty even packed us some food thinking that we didn't get to eat on our Air Asia flight! I haven't seen them for some time, so this was a really pleasant surprise.

Uncle and aunty gave us instructions on how to get to Byron Bay, the place where the teacher's training was located. With full tummies and high spirits, we took a shuttle bus to Byron Bay. Have I mentioned the rainy weather? According to the Australian news, the heavy nonstop downpour was a freak occurrence. It hasn't rained this hard and this long for the past 20 years! We didn't let this dampen our spirits though.


Comfy accommodations

We reached the accommodations arranged by Purna Yoga within an hour. Purna Yoga often has teacher trainings throughout the year for other specializations. Our first class started at 4 pm that day. We were late 1 hour for the class! We had no clue that it was daylight savings time! It took us about 20 minutes to walk to the studio from the place that we stayed. I thoroughly enjoyed walking in the drizzle with Susan. Safe to say, I felt rather happy. Something as simple as walking in the rain with a dear friend surprisingly brought me much joy.

That first class, Ana Davis taught us how to adjust postures and positions. The next morning, class started at 8 am. Day two's class was taught by Star Rumble. She taught us about the benefits as well as contradictions of certain poses according to each trimester. I felt much awe and admiration for these teachers! 

Susan, Ana Davis and me

Ana Davis showing us new pre natal yoga techniques

After Star's informative session, we headed straight to Purna Yoga's little dining hall for lunch. We had a lovely vegan lunch that set us back $20 Aussie dollars, but every penny was worth it! Day 2 ended at 6pm. A classmate dropped me and Susan off to town. We walked about and had dinner. It was really scrumptious! We both had a lovely time just walking about soaking in the atmosphere.


Me and Rosie Matheson

Rosie Matheson showing us how to use chairs as props for pre natal yoga

Day 3 was taught by Rosie Matheson. She taught us poses using props and how to connect with the baby. We then has a really yummy pumpkin soup lunch with a side salad. Lunch was followed by a little graduation ceremony and we were handed certificates.


With Star Rumble, after the graduation ceremony

There were very few Asians that attended this particular teacher's training. There were the two of us from Malaysia, and another two ladies from Jakarta and Japan. True to what they say, Australians are extremely friendly and open. Most of them were surprised that we traveled this far for the course. I feel really blessed to be there among the other dedicated yoga instructors. I could really feel the passion and as what they say, the love.

How will my prenatal class sessions be different after my little trip with Susan? I intend to focus more on building a connection between mother and baby. I will also teach new modified poses to help make mothers feel safe and aid them in the birthing process.


A little food and fun at Byron Bay

Lunch!

Our sessions at the training center, 
my uncle and aunty and susan and me

My trip ended with a final visit from my uncle and aunty. They both truly are very sweet and loving. I feel really touched at how much they care for me! Overall, it was a wonderful experience. One that I will never forget! Definitely more yoga trips in future. I don't think I'll ever lose that yearning to constantly learn new things. Shouldn't we all flow with the times?


Till next time,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment